
This story by another LinkedIn Influencer, "No One Feels Rich or Happy. I Looked," made me think about wealth accumulation being one of the challenges of our times.
Some
get rich and richer and it’s never enough. I know a ton of rich people
who aren’t happy at all. In fact they got less happy as they got rich.
I
know some friends or followers here will go after me for saying that
and remind me that they would like to be in that case and are suffering
because they struggle financially. That’s a total valid point and I
agree.
The point here is that yes, becoming financially independent (as in, you don’t have to work if you don’t want to) really
changes your life. Even though for some people event that makes them
unhappy, they get lost. But pass that point and more wealth makes so
many people I know more unhappy because
they start needing more things.
Always. That watch, that jewelry, that house, yacht… It is never-ending.
My
10-day meditation Vipassana retreat taught me that this is one of the
top factors of unhappiness. You keep craving all your life. I lived like
a monk for 10 days. I was allowed to have nothing with me except a few
clothes, was given simple food, and provided a bed in a shared 10-person
dorm for free. I discovered I needed nothing material to be happy.
And even though I would say I am not totally cured from that flaw, I am much better. I live with less, a lot less. And I feel better.
Yeah, I love my Tesla
— that’s a good example. It provides me with intense pleasure daily,
and I am proud to support a new industry. If successful entrepreneurs
don’t buy Teslas at a high price point to help Tesla succeed so they can
then produce a mainstream very accessible version most people can buy,
who will?
I used to collect expensive watches
(okay not THAT expensive, not crazy either). I have like 10 of them I
have not seen for years. I mostly don’t wear a watch at all and don’t
care at all about them. I am giving them to my sons when they turn 18
(then tell them they should not crave!). You might see me with one,
rarely, but I don’t care anymore at all.
Yeah, I’m a pilot
and love it. I have been flying for about 15 years. I would rarely ride
in the back of a private plane. What I like is flying the plane and the
adventure and thrill that comes with it. Pushing the throttles on a
runway and getting your butt kicked until the thing flies — and I’m
flying it by myself, no copilot — is one of the most intense pleasure I
have been fortunate to being able to live. I don’t care much about the
thing that flies; I care about being able to push the throttle and take
off by myself.
I actually started flying a paraglide,
it’s entirely free to fly after you bought the big kite (a few thousand
dollars, the cheapest thing you can fly yourself in). But yeah, I pilot
different planes now and then, I am not ashamed of it. Otherwise what’s
the point of not using what you earned? I have not stolen it from
anyone, I sold a few businesses. Paid a ton of tax in France and the
U.S. and that’s okay. Yeah it’s expensive. Okay fine. Yeah I could
donate it itself, I know. Well I’m not a monk.
I care about experiences, adventures, lifelong moments shared with family and or friends — not things. Moments to live deeply.
I
also started donating and supporting non-profits. This is new to me.
The culture in Europe is more that Government takes care of most things
and you pay a ton of tax so they should take care of it. I have to admit
France takes very good care of its people compared to the U.S., health
being the top example. Just pay attention to how many homeless people in
SF at night… So it’s new to me and I enjoy it. I’m trying to help, too,
not just give.
Anyways, more on that
topic later but things and possessions don’t matter much — — you can’t
take them with you when you die anyway.
No comments:
Post a Comment