I
grew up to know that those who go to church are Christians. I understood that
so long as you do not claim any other religion but Christianity, you are a
Christian. I have never known any other faith but Christianity. I have never
been to any other place of worship but the church. So the faith was “something
always there.”
Parents
and guardians did their best in guiding me to follow God. Whatever they
believed to be of spiritual benefit to us in the family, they did. I remember
we were taken to Children Services where we were usually prayed for. At times
too, an in-law who belonged to God’s Kingdom Society would take me to Kingdom
Hall, and like any Jehovah’s Witness, I would
go with others to sell literatures. All this continued till about the end of 1971 when I left Calabar for Lagos to resume secondary education interrupted by the Nigerian Civil War of 1967 – 1970.
go with others to sell literatures. All this continued till about the end of 1971 when I left Calabar for Lagos to resume secondary education interrupted by the Nigerian Civil War of 1967 – 1970.
I
had no problem attending church in Lagos, after all I was a Christian. However,
between 1971 and 1975, I
started having some questions and inner fears about death and hell. I was afraid to die, and did not want to go to hell either. From whence such absurd thoughts came, I could not tell. If only I could dismiss them! But I could not. So I started to pray out of fear. My prayers were usually that God should not allow me to die and go to hell. As days went by, guilt feelings seemed to multiply within me. I felt I would definitely go to hell. I became increasing scared. Surely ‘’the sorrows of death compassed me, and the pains of hell gat hold upon me’’ (Ps 116: 3).
started having some questions and inner fears about death and hell. I was afraid to die, and did not want to go to hell either. From whence such absurd thoughts came, I could not tell. If only I could dismiss them! But I could not. So I started to pray out of fear. My prayers were usually that God should not allow me to die and go to hell. As days went by, guilt feelings seemed to multiply within me. I felt I would definitely go to hell. I became increasing scared. Surely ‘’the sorrows of death compassed me, and the pains of hell gat hold upon me’’ (Ps 116: 3).
I
finished secondary education 1976 and started the Higher School Certificate(HSC)course
same year at Federal School of Arts and Science(FEDSAS) Sokoto. I had a
roommate, Solomon Ovrawah, who invited me to the school Christian fellowship,
the Fellowship of Christian Students (FCS). I honored the invitation. After the
first day, I continued attending, even more regularly than some old members. I seemed
to love the fellowship. Before long, I had become accepted as a brother, doing
anything you know true believers do. Was it Bible Study, leading fellowship
meetings, prayer chain, prayer band, evangelism, just name it, and you have Bro
Ita there. I was even writing articles on Christian topics and posting on the
school’s Notice Board. It appeared Bro Ita was the missing link in the
fellowship all these years. My almost endless activities simply put me in the
fore, and before long, I was made the Publicity Secretary of the group , a post
hitherto non-existent, but had to be created in view of a ‘super- brother’ to
fill it. That was months after the regular Fellowship election into offices had
taken place. So I became an executive member of the Fellowship……. but without
Christ.
During
these times, my questions and fears have not been resolved. I tried to bury
them within so as to brace up outwardly with others. Many times in meetings, I
have heard the oft-repeated invitation
that those who want to give their lives to Christ should raise their hand,
stand or come forward, to be prayed for. But to do any of these at a time I
have already been accepted as a brother would be difficult if not embarrassing.
My ego would not allow it. My pride was at stake. So I would pray in my heart. I did that many times yet knew no change. Despite
the encouragement received from many, the evil tendencies, questions, fears,
and doubts within persisted. There was a hunger within which was yet to be
satisfied. I eventually concluded that the act of raising my hand and going
forward was the answer. I was going to
do it, but in a far away land where nobody knew me.
The
opportunity came during schools’ long vacation (June-September) of 1977. I had
my holiday in Lagos, as also did my roommate Solomon Ovrawah. While there, he
was invited to a holiday-special youth programme organized by Youth For Christ
(YFC) International to hold in August at Anglican Girls’ Grammar School,
Surulere, Lagos. He invited me along. We
went together. One Caleb Maduoma preached from Ephesians 2. 1-10. I could still
remember him saying repeatedly, ‘You who were dead, He quickened…’. But I was
there for one purpose… to raise my hand and go forward at the invitation. It
did not matter if Solomon saw me. He was a good friend. So, when Caleb
eventually gave the invitation, I carried out the ritual. One Godwin Ike
counselled with me that night. I expected that having raised my hand and gone
forward for prayer, my inner fears and doubts should be cleared. But they were
not. At resumption of school in September 1977 for a new academic session I
returned to Sokoto, not a little frustrated.
I
have tried to help myself but could not. Others have tried too but could not.
From whence then comes salvation? SALVATION COMES FROM GOD (Jonah 2. 9)
Saturday March 25, 1978: One Miriam Kenti, then a student nurse at School of
Nursing, Vom, Jos, visited a sister friend of hers, an FCS member, Rhoda
Ityudogh, in our school. She passed the night there.
Sunday March 26, 1978 (Easter Sunday): I led the Fellowship’s Prayer Meeting that evening. On
closing, we exchanged greetings, chatting away as usual. About three of us were
with Miriam, chatting casually. Then one of us, Abraham Akanmu, President of
our Fellowship, asked her, “if you ask the Holy Spirit to come into you, how do
you know He has come in?” I guess Abraham expected Miriam to answer, “you would
speak in tongues.” But without fanfare, the sister said, “You’ll just believe.”
You’ll just believe!
Believe! The word sounded new. The moment it dropped out of
Miriam’s mouth, my inner being responded. I felt within me a heavy load
removed, and was thousand times as light, nay, lighter than air. An
indescribable peace and joy welled up within. For the first time in my life I
had a living faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, with a settled assurance that I
belonged to God (Romans 8. 16). For the first time too, I knew an upsurge of
spiritual power within me that practically released me from the power of, and
bondage to sin, that is, from that almost irresistible compulsion to commit
sin. The whole experience which was clearly beyond my power, happened in a
moment, and completely swept away every doubt and fear of death or of going to
hell. I could now live for and serve God out of love for Him, rather than out
of fear of judgment. My perspective of God changed for good.
That
experience was the saving power of God’s grace in my life. It brought with it a
hitherto unknown illumination in spiritual things, a new love for God, and
power to serve Him. Full of this new life, with joy I left the discussion
group, without anybody knowing what has happened to me, not even Miriam.
Running to my corner, I collapsed on my bed thanking God and committing myself
afresh to Him. I had just been born, a baby, into the family of God. The
following day I went about telling brethren what happened to me the previous
day. Some doubted and wondered how I could have been that active in the
Fellowship without knowing God. But that really was my story. I later
communicated with Miriam.
To
God’s glory I testify that I am saved by nothing but the free grace of God
(Ephesians 2. 8). This, my song would ever be. I am kept in the faith by the
power of God (1 Peter 1. 5), and would be presented blameless on the last day
before His throne, on account of Christ’s merit (Jude 24). Because God started
the work, He will surely finish it (1 Thess. 5. 24). His faithfulness
guarantees it (1 Corinthians 1. 9).
I
wonder dear reader, whether you too are as I was… whitewashed with Christian
activities, putting up a very respectable front, while being all in ruins
within. Or could be you are inching on laboriously, perhaps with grit teeth,
all in a bid to ‘make heaven’, trying to change yourself as a leopard would his
skin (Jeremiah 13. 23). Or you are just how you know the truth about yourself
(regardless of public praise). Only you
know yourself. Could you please, for once, simply forget about your ego,
your pride, and square up with the reality about yourself? Why, it is for your
own eternal good, not another’s. If it is not all well within, something
critical could be missing. That void is yearning for the presence of the Son of
God, Jesus Christ, who longs to dwell in you (Revelation 3. 20), and who, when
He enters into you ‘settles you’. He becomes your hope of glory (Colossians 1.
27). He was crucified on the Cross of Calvary where He died for you. He shed
His own blood to wash away your sins and make you acceptable to God. He rose
triumphantly from the dead the third day to justify you. You cannot ‘make
heaven’ on your own. Nobody who must enter there ever would. Christ has already
done that for you (John 14. 1 – 3; 17.
24). So, what do you do?
You’ll just believe!
The
Bible says
For God so loved the world that He gave His only
begotten Son, that whoever BELIEVES
in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3. 16
The one who BELIEVES
on Him is not condemned. John
3. 18
The one who BELIEVES
in the Son has everlasting life.
John 3. 36
Believe
today on the Lord Jesus Christ and be saved. There is power in God’s grace to
save you. Nothing else would do.
Call
out today to God to save you, “for, everyone who calls on the name of the Lord
will be saved.” (Romans 10. 13).
May
God’s grace reach you and save your soul, that with the saints of all ages, you
may sing the song of the redeemed.
Peace
be with you!
No comments:
Post a Comment